View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Angels,

Please re read all of the posts you wrote on this forum along with my replies regarding your dental situation. There are some discrepancies which leads me to believe that it's possible you may not be asking questions of the doctors and dentists that you see.

In January you had a CT scan and you stated ... <<ENT thinks there may be root tip remnants. Oral surgeon says no.>>
Without question, this oral surgeon and that ENT need to collaborate on your case. The ENT will tell the surgeon of his CT findings, the surgeon will recheck the scan if for no reason other than to cover his own butt, they will discuss your symptoms and complaints, etc.

In May you saw a NEW ENT who acknowledged something is wrong. He also diagnosed you with Klebsiella Oxytoca in your sinus via specimen and culture. The other ENT missed this and in all probability it was not a new infection. It also clearly means you had/have a sinus infection. How did you get that? Likely from the infected teeth. It could also still be lingering if there is a piece of infected root or bone or some other irritant still present in that site. By any chance, did the ENT ever retest you after the antibiotics were done? If so, what were the results?

In June you stated << everyone says there is something in the sinus, maybe it's packing that was placed after the extraction>>
I replied to that statement asking what packing were they referring to. Did you ask them to elaborate on that? Can you understand that "packing" material is not something that should still be present months after a tooth extraction? Were they talking about bone graft material? These are questions that need answers.

Also in June you stated << dental don't see anything, ENT and radiologists do, yet the sinuses are fine>>

So my questions to you are ... Who sees what? How can the sinuses be fine if you still possibly have Klebsiella Oxytoca? What packing are they referring to? How can everything be fine if you still continue to have definitive symptoms of an infection and problems with not just the sinus but the jaw bone as well? Do you still have periodic swelling in your neck?

To be honest with you, at this point any new dentist you go to is going to be reluctant to take your case because given the history it's fairly clear that something is wrong and in all probability it's been wrong from the get go. Anyone new that intervenes with surgical treatment or other will be concerned that they are opening up a can of worms and they don't want to be the one blamed for anything. I know that sounds unfair but can you appreciate why they would be reluctant? Also, there is no logical reason to have had 4 CT scans in addition to an MRI. That is a lot of radiation and you should be mindful about subjecting yourself to anymore of it for several years unless due to an emergency situation. It takes years to clear yourself of radiation that has been accumulated over a short period of time. Your profession subjects you to an abnormal amount of radiation as it is, never mind repeated CT scans of your head. Please do not let anyone talk you into doing another scan.

I would recommend that you choose an oral surgeon, perhaps the original one, along with the ENT that stated something is wrong and diagnosed the Klebsiella and get them to collaborate. If the original oral surgeon is not willing to collaborate with the ENT, then I would recommend that you tell him you want a copy of his surgical report and all notes in your chart. He has to legally give you a copy of both of those. Take those papers to another oral surgeon and have that oral surgeon collaborate with the ENT.

Until you get the ENT who acknowledges a problem and an oral surgeon (irrelevant of his findings) to talk to each other, you are not going to get off this merry go round. It is up to you to get a collaboration going.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels31 View Post
Hi,
I just thought I would update on what is happening with me. I am still battling this sinus issue. Although it feels a little better, these last two days seem to have gotten worse again. I have been to a total of 4 ENT's and two Oral surgeons now. The ENT's are saying my sinuses are beautiful, I do not have a sinus problem. All of them have said that. I have had 4 ct scans and 1 MRI. Both of the oral surgeons say there is no problem with the extractions. They are friends, so I am thinking that the new one didn't want to step on the other one's toes. He didn't do much of a check up. I am going to try to go to the original oral surgeon one more time. But my symptoms are still there, the site still hurts sometimes, I am still getting pieces of bone out, I am still getting the sour taste that seems to be coming from the site. They say the site is completely healed and it wouldn't be coming from there. Also, my post nasal on that side feels like there is stuff in it and I still have a crusty nose. (And they say there is not a sinus problem!) i also have constant ringing in my left ear.it really feels like there is still something wrong. It has been 8 months now. My plan is to go back to the original oral surgeon and if he doesn't find anything than I need to find the very best oral surgeon that is good at figuring out what is going on. I am willing to go anywhere in the country for that. Bryanna, do you know anyone that could help me? I know you have suggested that the doctors talk to each other but how could they talk to each other when they don't think anything is wrong. Also, I am worried about how much radiation I could be having. Would an MRI show more? Isn't that less dangerous? I am sure the ENT would order one for me. I am so tired of living like this. I really want to feel normal again.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***

Last edited by Bryanna; 07-17-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote