View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in California View Post
I will try these when I get home! My heart rate has been rather low since the accident. The accident and subsequent symptoms have caused an elevated BP (I used to be borderline at 135/75, but now am always elevated, often as high as 190/95). They have me on two BP meds (metoprolol and lisinopril). My resting HR is always around 50 BPM, but only goes up to 120 BPM under heavy exertion. I can ride on my trainer for an hour at 150 watts and never break 110 BPM (seems weird, but I think it is the BP meds). That sort of exertion would have normally had me at 150-160 BPM.

What exactly will the HR test tell me? What should I be looking for?
I know exactly what you are going through. I am a former Cat. 3 cyclist who was sidelined for nearly a year because of a concussion (see my history). I am really fortunate in that a progressive exercise program actually helped me and indeed my symptoms finally resolved partly because of the introduction of threshold exercise. I never thought it was possible but I can race again if I want.

Have you contacted Dr. Leddy and staff in Buffalo? Definitely worth a try. A neuropsych, exercising to threshold, and lots of meditation (and help here) is what got me going again, but Leddy is a super compassionate person who might be able to help you out. His lab knows head injury/heart-rate stuff better than anyone in the world. Mind you I never went to the Buffalo clinic and devised this myself--basically trying to get to the point where my days weren't total crap after one hard day of exercise. It is a bit of a waiting game. Hang in there. You will ride again!
seth8a is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote