View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 11:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I am very sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. My son is the same age and had a very similar experience.

He has been symptom free since January and while he wasn't able to complete 6th grade in 2015. He just finished 7th grade with honors all 3 trimesters. This summer he has been to water parks, amusement parks and just ran his first 5k on the 4th. Dr. Lynn Carlson, a functional neurologist in Acton, MA was our answer. I know that you live on the opposite coast and if you would like, I could reach out to her to find out if there is one in your area that she would recommend. Like medical doctors, not all functional neurologists have the same knowledge or experience and I would really recommend researching thoroughly before visiting with one.

I know not everyone has success with this type of treatment, but when you are this stuck, there is nothing to lose by trying.

I am sure my son would be willing to talk to yours if you think it would help. I hate to hear how badly he is suffering and maybe talking to someone who can relate to what he is going through would help, especially where they are the same age.

Please tell him that there is hope. My son is proof. And so are the others in the blogs I linked below. I hope these stories bring you comfort and bring you hope, because they most certainly helped and guided me in the right direction:

Cara's story (first 2 links) and her mom's support meant so much to me. She spent her own personal time consoling me and just listening. Cara's daughter and my son shared the same doctors at both hospitals they were treated at and had pretty similar experiences with both of them. While we did not end up going to the same functional neurologist Cara went to (Dr. Pedro in RI), we were headed there if Dr. Carlson could not help us.

These people put out their stories to help people who are stuck like they were. I am so very thankful that they did and hope that we can pay that forward.

NH Parenting Magazine:
Tackling trauma head on - Parenting NH - April 215 - New Hampshire

Cara Griffith's TedX:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nosQVotMKwkmHg

The following link is the one that led me to Dr. Carlson. This family took their son to Carrick in Georgia, had significant results in only 1 week and followed up with Dr. Carlson. I spoke with Max's mom also (again found out our children shared a few of the same doctors) and asked her if I should just take him to Georgia, or start with Dr. Carlson. She without a doubt told me to start with Dr. Carlson and if she couldn't help, she would recommend next steps.

Category: Carrick Brain Center - Today's Concussions

The following blog I came across while researching Dr. Carlson. I never reached out to this woman, but I did run into her at Dr. Carlson's once during my son's treatment and thanked her for her blog!
12. An Eye Opening Experience – Hard Knocks: My Post Concussion Journey

I hope these help. I am sorry for such a long post. I just can't stand seeing a child and family suffer with this and when I can't sleep I find myself wandering over here to check in. Wishing you son a healthy recovery.
NeverGiveUp4MySon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote