View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPSbe View Post
Don't you guys get treated for the osteoporosis? I did. I got calcitonin first, which is a treatment for CRPS in Belgium, then my rheumatologist put me on bisphosphonates (which are for recalcitrant CRPS).

Nevertheless I never got my mobility back, because the CRPS was too far gone in my legs. It is what it is.
It seems to be real common to not treat for osteoporosis or osteopenia here in the States until it shows up, even if you have an issue like CRPS or diabetes where it is commonly seen. My primary care physician refused to give me a referral to go see an endocrinologist that specializes in bone mineral resorption, even though my orthopedic surgeon gave me a script to see one as soon as I can. I have since switched insurance and primary care physicians. The osteoporosis has only worsened since my ortho originally suggested I see an endocrinologist. The bones in my foot and my tibia hardly even show up on an x-ray anymore. Some of that comes from not using my foot, some from the CRPS. I will finally be getting in to see the endo next month.

Glad to hear you found a good podiatrist Becca. The warm pool is a great tool to use if you have access to one. Like Bio mentioned, even a small foot whirlpool tub helps. If you can not tolerate the water or jets, each time you use it, slowly try increasing the amount of time you use it.

Alaina
PurpleFoot721 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (07-19-2016), ger715 (07-22-2016)