View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 08:44 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkizza View Post
Hey guys quick question. I looked around but wasn't 100% sure of an answer....

If you haven't seen my other thread I have vascular TOS with a little nerve involvement, but mainly vascular.

Question: Am I risking damage to the artery/vein while doing physical exercise? I've read a few things which said it can damage/compress the arteries/vein which can cause problems such as anurisms/clots and stuff? My job involves pull ups/push-ups/burpees/planks/obstacle courses/running/etc usually on a fort nightly or so basis.

Relatively symptom free with hands at my side but exercise/ arms at or above 90 I get the heavy arms.

Usually after a PT session or similiar my arms are on fire and feel like bricks and I can barely lift them to shoulder height etc.

I know it's not good for me just wondering if I'm at a big risk for something that could put me in hospital. Cheers
I have been diagnosed with the vTOS 3 years ago after getting clot in my subclavian vein. I didn't do any surgeries yet, but I've been on blood thinners since. I am 95% symptom-free.

To my understanding, you are definitely risking getting clots as you do have compression and you are not on blood thinners (that would reduce the chance of getting a clot), especially if you do exercises which further pinch the vein.

I did ask my surgeons about the activity I can do and they were happy with me doing whatever I want as long as I am anticoagulated. They don't want be to stop taking thinners if I don't do the surgery.

vTOS to nTOS could happen too, but to my understanding it is not very likely...

Regardless, I would definitely suggest you have somebody take care about your situation and advise what is the best option for you.

It is a bit difficult to judge as you haven't had any clots before, but you do have compression..
Simurgh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote