View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 03:40 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Bone Spurs causing neurological problems?

Hi

I would appreciate any views as to whether you think my symptoms may be due to bone spurs or nerve compression. Brief history of my symptoms:

Three and a half years ago I developed mild ataxia, balance problems and non rotational vertigo. I'd had stiffness in my legs for sometime. I developed permanent hypersensitivity to touch on the souls of my feet and to a lesser extent my palms.

I began to do light exercise three times a week 2 years ago along with a low carb diet which improved things. Five months later I developed muscle fatigue / weakness in every limb. This was off and on for several weeks. MRI just after this weakness started showed 4 or 5 white matter spots, which is higher than earlier MRI but radiologist said this was due to difference in technique and therefore no change in MRI. Report said symptoms are unlikely to be related to white spots. I also developed raised IGF1 levels for reasons unknown. Muscle fatigue slowly began to improve but has remained on and off ever since.

One year ago I developed co-ordination problems in my legs and arms after some minor physical trauma. My arms and legs became very slow. When I touched my face or picked up or put down an object my hands responded very slowly, as if they ddd not know where the objects or surfaces where. These symptoms improved dramatically over about 6 weeks, eventually disappearing.

I had a follow up MRI which stated that 'there continues to be approximately eight non-specific WMHI of doubtful clinical relevance'. However the previous report said 4 or 5. My doctors interpretation of this is there 'has been no change' as it was due to a thinner slice protocol. In addition there is now a reference to a 'right sided intra-meatal vascular loop of doubtful clinical significance'. My spinal MRI now references ' minimal disc osteophyte bars (bone spurs) of doubtful clinical significance' which were not there a year ago.

I began exercising even more in January this year and was doing fairly well until June. I again got the slow moving arms, legs and coordination problems. It reduced substantially after four weeks, but is still present even now (7 weeks later).

The symptoms seem to be brought on by increasing exercise, although this could be just a coincidence.

Do my symptoms fit with nerve compression - possibly due to the bone spurs? My MRI report said there was no evidence, but I am assuming they can miss such things?
Comeonthen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote