View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Has anyone had casts over their CRPS?

I have crps in my left arm and right leg. I suffer complete paralysis from my elbow down as a result, and partial paralysis in my ankle and toes.

To start with my physio/PT was able to straighten out my fingers/toes and ankle during usual sessions, although extremely painful at least this meant I could prevent lasting damage and wastage to the joints from lack of movement. From October last year my hand had completely clawed over and my wrist is bent at an inward angle so we haven't been able to do anything with it. Since then my ankle and toes have followed the same pattern and I now have tibial torsion as a result of the contracture.

Both are in desperate need of straightening out to prevent any further problems (I have already developed sciatica and 'snapping hip' as a result of my leg being turned in and it just causes more pain than necessary). A few weeks ago my new physio/PT discussed the possibility of splinting my arm and casting my ankle under a general anaesthetic. They would be in soft splints and casts to allow for swelling and for them to be removed during therapy sessions. She said she had done something similar with a patient at another hospital she used to work at and it worked out very well. The only thing that worries me about this is the allodynia, Ive only just managed to work my way back into very soft material shoes and very rarely have anything in contact with my arm. When I was at the hospital for my stellate ganglion block yesterday I couldnt even wear the hospital band on my left arm. Im not sure how I would cope with it.

I was just wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar? How did you find it?
abigailsophiex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote