View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 07:08 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou1978 View Post
Hello there,

For those of you who don't know my story, i have had symptoms of SFN from the end of 2012. I was 36 at the time, symptoms (not painful) but buzzing and funny feelings. Fast forward to 2014 when i saw a really good neuro who suggested this could be Non length dependent SFN. He sent me to London for a skin biopsy. The skin biopsy revealed increased nerve fibers, (which I have been told is very unusual). Neuro told me 80% of SFN suffers have reduced nerve fibers. He only sees about 20% with this presentation. It was indicated in the professor's letter who done the skin biopsy this was inflammation.

While i was completely stressed out about being told i had SFN within days the pain was horrific all over my body. My scalp was the worst. After a couple of months the pain subsided, I calmed down a bit and pain almost went away. I have been in this position since the end of 2014 but i am now getting sharp pains down below and also i have had burning tongue and lips. I didn't have pain in these places when i had the all over burning. It was everywhere else. However i had always had buzzing all over my body.

My last appointment with my neuro went well, he suggested that i may have had some sort of Virus which attacked all the nerves in one go, and the pain i get from time to time is just old nerve damage . He mentioned possible Sensory Guillian Barre.

I'm in the UK and have been offered a trial of IVIG, i have tried 5 days of iv steroids last year which didn't seem to make any different to the the symptoms . My next appointment is not until October. I am wondering what to do, as my biopsy was unusual and my symptoms are strange, as the full body burning has gone away but i seem to get pain in places i never had before. Any ideas?

I am wondering if i should go for the IVIG......
There was a point that I would have said yes to IVIG in a second and was very angry that not one of my doctors would try it for me. I have full body neuropathy and high ANA, they even all suspect its autoimmune, but can't figure out what, so say sjogrens because my eyes are so dry and my lip biopsy came up borderline.
Anyway, being that I am able to function (things are far from easy), I've stopped thinking about it. I'm also on a Facebook group where some people report that the side effects were too much to handle. There are people it helps, but I don't hear people raving about it. On the other hand it seems that when some people find the right meds, they are quite improved, claiming they couldn't live without them. I know that's not an answer, and I have not found anything to solve my problems either.

I would try it if it my pain was requiring me to take narcotics all day though.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote