View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 03:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post
Hi Mat

It's good to read you're making some headway towards a diagnosis. Don't be concerned about there being no mention of PN in relation to Polymyositis - it's not unknown for PN to develop secondary to autoimmune disorders but it's seldom mentioned in literature or discussed by doctors, (except maybe in the case of Diabetes). This may be due to the fact that Neuropathy is classed as a neurological disorder and autoimmune diseases come under rheumatological, endocrine or immunological (or other) classifications and due to specialization the cross connections are missed.

I don't know if you have access to a Neuroendocrinologist in Scotland but this is a developing area of specialization that may help pinpoint a diagnosis. Unfortunately here in NZ Neuroendocrinologist's tend to be found mainly in the research labs (rather than clinical settings).

All the best for your continued search.

Thanks kiwi and enbloc for posting some info and explanations re possible alternative diagnosis which may be interesting for others searching.
PS - the reason I don't think I have polymyositis is because most of my pain is in my tendons and joints rather than muscles. Also it all started in my hands and feet and PM usually affects the shoulders, hips and not the hands, knees or ankles or toes like mine. I do have trouble going from sitting to standing sometimes (can't!) but I had a pelvic X-ray recently which showed arthritis in my hips and lower back and this would explain.

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (07-28-2016)