View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 100 mg. Imitrex

Dear Nikko,

When I read your initial post, I thought, "What!?, Imitrex comes in 500 mg. tabs now! Time to change my RX." I take Imitirex and always get the 100 mg. tabs., the largest size, because they are identical is cost to the smaller sizes, (50mg. & 25 mg.), and can be split.

Researching Imitrex, they have, alas, not changed their largest tab, it is still 100 mg.. so I suppose you meant that your shrink ordered you 50 mg., (not 500 mg., as you stated), tabs.

I would ask him, in the future, to order the largest size, (100 mg.), were I you. The tabs are deliberately made in a difficult-to-split shape by the manufacturer, and the cards of Imitrex state, "Do not split tablets", but I always do and they always work. Perhaps they deteriorate quickly if split, but I believe that GlaxoSmithKline simply wants to sell more pills. A little care using one of those $5 drugstore tab splitters, (whose razor cutter must be kept sharp) could save you a lot of money and/or give you more doses than you would otherwise have available.

Hope this helps.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - T. Roosevelt