View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Abigailsophie,

Preventing further contracture and resulting problems is a worthy cause. So many additional discomforts can come from being out of alignment. I really like the idea of the casts/splints being soft and removable. Depending on how often you go to PT it may be helpful to take them off more often to do passive range of motion on those joints if you can tolerate it. Tendons and ligaments tighten up so quickly and routine movement of them can be very helpful. I had both casts and splints as part of my journey (not for the same reasons as you) and I remember being surprised by the atrophy and stiffness that resulted. Being able to do passive movement could make a big difference and minimize losses in range.

I remember too how awful the bandaging felt against my skin when I developed CRPS after my last operation. Find the softest material you can that causes the least aggravation and use it as a liner. Topical cream may help. I use one with ketamine and gabapentin in it that I find helpful. Avoid opiates when and if possible. They certainly have their place but can contribute to hypersensitivity.

Good luck on this. I hope you find relief with it. I am two years out and still wear a brace at night to keep my foot from contracting. I can definitely tell when I don't use it.

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (08-01-2016)