Thread: Ketogenic Diet
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There are a few issues that need to be understood regarding the ketogenic diet.

1. The research into the ketogenic diet and TBI was done on rats and mice.
2. The rats were fed a ketogenic diet before an impact injury in one study.
3. The rats were fed a ketogenic diet immediately after an impact injury in another.
4. No comparable research has been done on humans. Human research has been focused on epilepsy.

The NCBI articles comprehensively compiled the research done so it is the most indicative source of information.

The take away is that the ketogenic diet is helpful during the acute injury phase. The research does not show a benefit for delayed use of the ketogenic diet past the acute injury phase.

A way to benefit from this information would be to promote fasting during the first 24 hours post injury. This would create a ketogenic condition and promote the neuroprotective benefits. The study did not show a benefit from fasting during the second 24 hours after injury.

It is important to understand that just consuming coconut oil or other MCT oils, even BulletProof, a concentrated MCT oil is of little benefit. The ketogenic diet requires that the body be put into a carb famine mode before the ketones are released.

Some of the anecdotal claims for MCT oils are missing some important information. If one enters carb famine mode, they will have reduce brain function. Consuming MCT oils during this famine mode will increase energy to the brain causing an increase in brain function. But, what is not considered is whether consuming carbs would also increase brain energy.

These same anecdotal claims mention a quick increase in function once the MCT oil is consumed. MCT's do not cross the blood brain barrier. Only the ketones do. The brain does not metabolize MCT oils. The liver does. So, consider these amazing claims with an understanding of brain physiology.

Some brains do not process glucose well so ketones may be more of a solution. But, these brains are likely also prone to seizures. I have not followed this condition specifically.

A possible value to the ketogenic diet may be migraines. It appears to help moderate glutamate toxicity. Glutamate can be a migraine trigger in some people. This issue was not well discussed but further investigation would be worthwhile. In the short term, fasting at the first onset of a migraine may be worthwhile.

I've been following ketogenic issues on a few different web sites. If I find anything worthwhile, I'll post it, too.

I've never notice concussion as an appetite suppressant unless nausea follows the concussion. I've only experienced this (nausea) twice in 14 concussions.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote