View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Vision Therapy expectations....

Hi all. I've been reading this site for several months and found it helpful to my situation. Fwiw, I appreciate seeing others take time to reply with their expertise to assist others. I feel blessed to be where I am compared to many of the accounts I have read -as at least I can work and battle through the headaches, eye strain/fatigue, short term memory issues, & poor sleep. Also manage to run 12 miles a week along with some cycling.

I am 52, and was struck in the temple with a large metal pole (heavy) while setting up a trade show booth in July of 2015. Wasn't knocked out, but like so many, didn't see the a lot of the effects of concussion until 5-6 weeks later.

I felt like my recovery was mostly completed until a particularly stressful time about 5 months later, which I believe, brought back many of the symptoms. However a new symptom had appeared and it was my eyes having issues with convergence. I noticed it when I would look at someone in the eyes, and somehow I couldn't focus on one general area like I always have.

Thus off to a vestibular therapist, who was new to this type of therapy. On day one she put me through the ringer and it almost wrecked me! I was exhausted and had a nearly constant 'whooshy' feeling in the back of my head. I continued with it thinking that I would get through this rough part and make it to the other side. Well, nearly a month later, and I continued with the same side effects. I had to stop because it was affecting my job performance.

Fast forward to yesterday when I went to see a Neuro Eye Dr. He did a lot of tracking tests on me and determined that vision therapy would likely benefit me. 10 weeks of this, going twice a week. (Also $1800 out of pocket as it is deemed not medically necessary). So with the liklihood of this therapy making me feel similar to the vestibular therapy, I am not sure this is what I need.

Is it reasonable to expect the vision/vestibular dysfunction from the concussion to repair itself over time? Other than the short term memory issues, I feel like this is the biggest contributor to PCS. If this would resolve itself, my quality of life gets much closer to where it was prior to the injury. Thanks in advance....
Pcsblows is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote