Thread: Ketogenic Diet
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I am currently dealing with a really bad setback since few days now. This is the first time I have a setback that I cannot trace to a specific shock (be it medication, physical, emotional..). So I am quite confused to start with.

I do not know anything about MCT nor was I planning to use coconut oil. I have a problem with coconut and cocoa unfortunately anyway (bad reaction).

I admit again that I am going by very broad generalizations. I find people and papers discussing beneficial effect of keto on epilepsy, Alz., Park., TBI (within short window in rats right?), depression, and I find theoretical papers explaining why Keto can have these positive effects on these brain related conditions....

from this I am coming to the generalization that: Keto is good for the brain, and therefore I should try Keto.... quite a leap I admit. But I think a similar generalization led my Neurologist to tell me to take Magnesium, Omega 3,... But the difference is, these are easy mostly non-harmful supplements. The question is therefore: what can go wrong with a Keto diet? (I do not know, and would like to know).

Clearly it is a generalization. I am a scientist myself and I my field published papers have to have a good experimental design and a p<0.01

Unfortunately, the day when they will actually have a control trial on Keto with TBI is very far ...

I fully agree that there are a lot of snake oil sellers that want to jump on every little correlation to sell their oil. I was thinking about just eating high fat foods and reducing my carbs to <50g a day. But will have to read about this more...
bachissimo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote