View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Numbness in back of hand.

Hi everyone.

I know this doesn't replace a doctor but considering my case and what my mom has been through before I'm a bit skeptical about doctors in this field (at least from where I'm from).

Sorry in advance for the long post but I thought I should give you all the information I have.

So I'm 29 Male and I work a lot in the computer, I'm also a very skinny guy (always been). Due to some life changes I now started working at home so some things changed, like my working environment and daily routine, even eating habits. Yet, just on the third day being at home I got some wrist pain. It has happen before (happens like 2 or 3 times a year) and I assumed it had something to do with the different desk, chair and hands position. The pain went away in the next day and I got one of those mouse pads with foam to try to alleviate a bit (at work I had one of these too).

Then after a week the pain came back after some intensive use of the PC accompanied with some numbness at the back of the hand. I gave it some rest but neither was going away after two days I started searching for what it could be. My mom got a surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome once and the symptoms seemed similar. I learned a few stretching exercises and completely left the computer for the next days and after a week the pain slowly went away. I now feel like the pain is almost completely gone. It only hurts a little if I spend 2 or 3 hours without any rest. And I eventually got those gloves/splints and it seems to be a bit more comfortable to stay on the PC for longer.

Yet the numbness never went away.

So, I never got any numbness in my fingers, which seems to indicate that it's not carpal tunnel syndrome. The numbness exists in the total back of my hands (both btw) and sometimes extends a bit to the forearms (like half). I've tried different positions at the desk and even on the bed to see if any difference of the rotation, position or weights of the arms and hands made any difference in the numbness but nothing works, the only time that the numbness gets better but not completely gone is when I'm doing some activity like walking, doing exercises and even washing dishes o.O, but as soon as I rest, either in a chair or in bed it slowly increases no matter what position I'm in. Also, at night my house gets really hot and the numbness increases as well.

This numbness sometimes feels like needles or burning sensation and in the worst cases it's super distracting and infuriating so I get up and start walking or doing something just to calm it down a bit. When sleeping the numbness decreases but never goes away completely (at least considering how it feels when waking up).

So what are your thoughts? I've been searching for specialize doctor in my area but I'm not even sure what to look for, just going to hospital is too expensive for me.

thx
kebrus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote