View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Angels,

I am so sorry this is happening to you. But I am surprised that you returned to the original OS who kept ignoring your physical symptoms and allowed him to go ahead with the dental implant in spite of the long term symptoms you have been having. I don't, for the life of me, understand how he could have placed that implant if he was aware of your symptoms and dental history pertaining to that area of your mouth and sinuses. He has also bombarded you with radiation multiple times only to give you nothing more than the same inconclusive diagnosis. I think he would have had a different tone about your case if the ENT who acknowledged there was a problem had spoken to him about his findings on that scan.

To be completely honest with you... the situation has become even more complicated now since the placement of the implant. You will be hard pressed to find someone to take your case on because they won't want to get caught up in it. Due to the longevity of the problems and now this surgery, who ever is brave enough to step in to treat you will likely get blamed if the outcome of their treatment is not favorable. Not a good position to put themselves into. This is why the second oral surgeon who you contacted just before the placement of the implant was reluctant to get too involved.

I would suggest that you write a letter to the oral surgeon who did the extractions and now the implant requesting all of your scans and xrays, all surgical and consulting notes, and all chart notes. Everything pertaining to this area of your mouth from the very first time you walked in his office up until the last time. You will need this information wherever you end up going as the history of this is imperative and you should have copies for your own records as well. Send that letter certified mail receipt. This way you will receive a receipt from the post office that your letter was received and signed for so that no one can tell you it wasn't. The office may call you and tell you there is a fee to provide you with everything. You have a choice you can pay it or you can argue it. Either way, get your stuff from them.

Regarding the progression of the sinus problems. Your symptoms previous to the implant were indicative of infection and/or inflammation in the area ... bone, tissue, sinuses, etc. It is irrelevant as to whether the implant was placed into or near your sinuses or not. The implant is likely exacerbating the problem that has been present the whole time.

To answer your question about removing the implant ... yes it can be removed and it should be done sooner than later if that is what you decide to do. Meaning the longer it is present, the more difficult it will be to remove and the more progressive your ongoing problems will become. In addition to all of the other dental paperwork, it is imperative that you have the surgical report of the placement of the implant so that the surgeon who removes it knows what took place at the time of the placement. Meaning, what bone graft materials (if any) were used, what type and size the implant was, etc.

It is not that nobody in San Diego will listen. It is that your case became complicated early on and the doctors needed to collaborate. I know you are sick of hearing me say that, but that lack of collaboration is a huge part of what has led to this degree of complexity. The original oral surgeon had his opinion which seemed to disregard your ongoing physical symptoms and there was no one challenging him when there could have been. The fact that you kept going back to the original surgeon most likely led the others that you consulted to believe you wanted to stay with the original surgeon. Can you understand how this has evolved into you standing alone and almost at the mercy of the original oral surgeon?

I know you wanted to believe this guy and put your trust in him. Everyone wants that same thing with their doctors and dentists. Unfortunately, trust or competency is not something we can ever assume is going to take place, especially when problems arise and they're not taken seriously. He rushed you into doing the implant scaring you about bone loss and opposing tooth eruption. Perhaps he should have taken that energy and used it on figuring out what the hell has been going on all this time!

It is best if you can find an oral surgeon who is local to you because you may have complications that follow any treatment that is rendered to you. Can you call the ENT who confirmed he saw something on a scan and ask what oral surgeons he refers to you or what OS he has collaborated with on other cases? Tell him you had felt that he wanted to help you and you should have asked for this previously but still felt confident with the oral surgeon you were seeing. As time as gone on, you realize you need some collaboration and would like to work with someone that he is familiar with as you are not sure what to do at this point.

What do you think of the idea of contacting the ENT and so forth??

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna,
I am now in the process of contacting the ENT. We are playing phone tag, but my plan is to try and get in and have him order an MRI of the maxofacial. That seemed to catch the infection before that the CT scans didn't. Since the implant was done the whole left side of my face is messed up, from my eye all the way down my neck and shoulder. My left ear is ringing loudly also. I think I am having a lot of anxiety over this and I am trying to calm myself down. Especially when you say nobody would want to take my case on. Am I supposed to live my life with this? I know now that this whole time my problem has been my teeth. Since the implant the symptoms have really isolated to the left side. (Left side of hose plugged up, cheek and eye hurt on left side etc.) It almost feels like there is an infection in the jaw bone somewhere. Will that show up in an MRI? I am still getting the bitter taste coming from that area, which the oral surgeon say is not. He says that the area where the bone graft is, is all closed up,and it couldn't possibly be coming from there. Couldn't it seep through the skin? Because I know it is coming from there. I even think that even the bacteria in my nose was caused by this infection. The second Oral surgeon that I went to was referred to me by the ENT. So, I am not really sure what to do now. I did try to get the ENT and first oral surgeon to collaborate but they really didn't seem interested. I have a follow up appointment with the oral surgeon next week, should I have him take the implant out? I will get all the notes etc. He is on vacation this week.
I called my insurance company today and they sent me 12 names of maxofacial surgeons near me. Also, I need a plan if nobody finds anything after the next round of doctors. So, I am thinking of trying to get in to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. They are in network. My insurance company said they will try to get me an appointment. Luckily I fly for free and my best friend lives there. I really don't want to have to go that route but I really need to get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile, I am trying to live my life, uncomfortably, but if I stay busy I don't think about it as much. I have had Maui layovers the last three weeks and have done yoga on the beach and believe it or not, it helps! I am a very active and healthy person and I just pray every day that I can get this horrible thing resolved and feel good again!
Angels31 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote