View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Chi-town, I drank moderately (within safe limits) for many years and heavily (well outside safe limits) for about a year.

I developed neuropathy and essential tremor in my hands. I spent about a month as a voluntary patient in a psychiatric hospital, taking the first steps towards dealing with my alcohol abuse as well as my Major Depressive Disorder. My psychiatrist, who is boss of the hospital, prescribed thiamine which I took for about a year. Thiamine deficiency is common in people who abuse alcohol.

That was five years ago - my neuropathy has now largely gone and I still have a bit of essential tremor which does not affect me to any great extent.
Thanks Kiwi. I am taking benfotiamine/thiamine as part of my regimen. I just made an appointment with a highly rated PN clinic (benefits of living in such a large metro area) but will have to wait 6 weeks to get in. I am pretty sure I know the diagnosis but figured it's worth trying to rule out anything else and to get input from a specialty clinic as to what else I can be doing in addition to abstinence and vitamin regimen.
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (08-05-2016), PamelaJune (08-05-2016), Wide-O (08-05-2016)