View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
I have very similar problems to you. My breathing is laboured. I'm on oxygen. Sometimes it feels as if my diaphragm is not working. I have general muscle weakness and have to use two sticks to walk. I have severe speech impairment where my face muscles are hardly working. The worst is my breathing. Yet my myasthenia tests have proved negative. My breathing tests were declared null as I couldn't move the needle. I also have breath shudder. I have to take mobile oxygen with me when I go out. I just know I shall die in my sleep, even though I use oxygen at night, as my breathing is worsening. I really feel my diaphragm is not pumping my lungs. I've just had a MRI brain scan because the neurologist thinks I might have had a brain stroke!!! I just wanted to sympathise with you and tell you to stay your ground. Ask for oxygen, it helps a little. These people must take you seriously. It's a scary place to be when you are too weak to breathe.
Dear Caprice,

Our stories do sound rather similar. I'm so sorry to hear all that you've been going through! Are you in the U.K.? My pulmonologist ordered a non-invasive ventilator for me to use at home. It is like a fancy BiPAP machine. It helps me breathe at night, and I can also use it during the day when I am having a particularly bad time breathing. I do not use supplementary oxygen, but I understand that you can add oxygen to these machines. It sounds like you could really benefit from such a machine. As you say, it really is frightening when it feels as though you can't breathe. It's scary at any time, but particularly overnight. If you have a pulmonologist, try asking them about this, and if you might be eligible for it. It does take a little bit to get accustomed to it, but it has helped me and I know it helps others, too.

Please take good care of yourself!

Thinking of you,
ErinBear
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote