View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi antonina,

It sounds like this bridge is quite old. What do you have replacing the other 2/3rds of the bridge?

The fractured tooth is most likely heavily decayed and moderate to severely fractured. The purpose of doing the root canal is to attempt to "buy" time while retaining an unhealthy tooth for an uncertain amount of time. However, the financial aspect as well as the cost to your health of retaining an unhealthy tooth needs to be weighed against the attempt to retain it. All root canaled teeth are a chronic source of infection and inflammation because they will always harbor dead nerve tissue inside of the hundreds of inaccessible microscopic canals and because they no longer have a blood supply as the vessel is severed during the root canal procedure.

It is never ideal to anchor a bridge of any kind onto root canaled teeth because they are vulnerable to fracture and abscessing due to the chronic infection in those tiny canals and no blood supply. The bacteria from those canals easily spreads beyond the tooth into the adjacent teeth, the jaw bone and beyond. So they are not ideal anchor teeth.

The porcelain fracturing off of the bridge is not what is causing the pain. The tooth is infected most likely due to extensive decay and it may be fractured into the pulp chamber and that's what is causing the pain. Root canaling this tooth will not cure the infection or make the tooth well again.

If your other upper teeth are currently being replaced with a removable partial denture then the teeth associated with this bridge may also be added to your existing partial or you may need to have a full denture made.

The bottom line is what do you think is in your best interest when you put all the facts together. Financial cost, health risks, and no long term stability.

I am attaching a tooth diagram to show you just how many microscopic canals are in every tooth, including the root system. Even if your tooth is broken off at the gum line, the entire root system will still be present in the jaw bone. The canals are labeled dentin tubules and shown in light brown color.

I hope this was helpful to you. Please let us know if you have other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
root canal or extraction?-dentin-tubules-jpg  

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote