View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Mat, thanks for the reply. We definitely have many, many similarities with the presentation of our symptoms, other than mine being a seropositive RA diagnosis. My grandma HAD rheumatoid arthritis (that's how she words it) more like it went into remission and she hasn't had issues in years, but she did have the active disease for many years. Genetics definitely playing a role, but I do wonder what "flipped" on the gene - environmental factors? Smoking for several years on and off? Wish I could undo those bad decisions now. Do you have any family history of autoimmune diseases?

Shockingly, the one thing I haven't done is given up gluten. I am on a ketogenic diet, I've been on it for 2 months. It's helped with the burning in my feet, however, my hands started bothering me a few weeks after starting keto and now I have tingling in my fingertips, altered sensation in the fingertips, burning in my hands, and burning in my mouth, lips, nose, and earlobes. My fingers get FREEZING cold and then when they warm up, they burn and turn bright red and that's when my fingertips tingle. I'm assuming a little Raynaud's is happening. ALL of this started with extremely cold feet (painfully cold) before the numbness kicked it. Side note, I don't eat much gluten on my keto diet, I was actually trying to avoid it, but found out it was in my salad dressing I was eating all the time.

I cheated once on keto and had pizza with friends. My entire mouth was vibrating and tingling after. Big mistake! Do you follow any certain type of diet? I've been reading these books about the immune system and how to help "recover it" with diet, supplementation, etc. It sounds a little too good to be true and I haven't read one thing about neuropathy in there unless it's presented with MS (where it seemingly comes and goes) OR a celiacs diagnosis, which I don't have. I might give the AIP diet a try, but I'd have to leave keto behind because I don't know how I could do both.

I have absolutely the worst anxiety and depression, especially lately. My anxiety was extremely bad in the two years before this all started due to a relationship ending, losing a job, etc. Do you have any issues with anxiety or depression? Do you believe those emotional issues compound any symptoms in a psychosomatic way?

Also, the link you provided me with didn't work. It went to a login page. But I'd be interested in reading it!

Have a nice rest of your weekend and thank you for allowing me to chat!
mskari85 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote