View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

dl4plans, Welcome to the forum!

I'm a "Jack" lover as well, but I can't drink it.

What alcohol does is to bind to the acetylcholine receptor (among other ones) and reduces the amount of acetylcholine one can get to the muscles. We already have a reduced amount, so that is not a good thing!

Drinking at night can also cause someone to not breathe well while sleeping, wake up choking, or wake up unable to breathe. It's quite scary and dangerous!

Even if I try to have a sip of champagne, for example, for a brunch, the same thing happens. Drinking late in the day is even worse.

Mrs. D already pointed out the effects on the stomach, which is made worse by Prednisone.

Did anyone tell you how incredibly difficult it is to get off of Pred? Many MG experts now only use it as a "boost," if you will, when someone has a MG crisis. It can cause so many other health issues. So you end up with MG plus other problems!

Also, if you do have cancer, having Pred is not a good thing! What if you have to do chemo or radiation? That on top of the Pred would make you a high risk for infections and other issues. It's hard on the kidneys/liver as well. If I were you, I'd have another discussion with the neuro about trying IVIG as a stopgap measure (instead of Pred) until they know if you have a thymoma.

No treatment that suppresses the immune system is without risk, but the other ones are easier to withdraw from (i.e., Imuran).

There is a lot to learn about MG. Home is a good place to start.

There are drugs that are contraindicated in MG as well.

Stay out of the heat (and cold weather) because that makes MG exponentially worse. Stress, infections, lack of sleep, etc. can make us worse as well.

Some people have a thymoma. Sometimes once it's removed, MG will get better. Though, not all the time!

If you have any questions, just holler!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FREDH (11-30-2016), pingpongman (08-07-2016), VickieB (08-08-2016)