View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Elaine,
It appears that the Synovial is causing the narrowing pressure rather than the canal having to have the lamina removed due to the narrowing.

From what I read, these cysts have a thick wall which draining is not always successful; but if there was a choice, I think it would be to attempt to drain before having surgery. Surgery would be a last resort. At least draining, if only for a short time might give you enough relief and help you decide in the future whether to do surgery or not.

I do know the pain of extreme narrowing because of the narrowing of the spinal cord which was relieved thru the removal of a wide part of the lamina. It would appear your cyst is causing pressure to the spinal cord, possibly causing similar pain.

The cysts I had was something the surgeon said he had never seen before. As I mentioned, they went in and our of each of the lumbar vertebra. He removed them at the time of the fusion/laminectomy. I still am dealing with spinal stenosis pain in other areas; but nothing like the area with excessive narrowing. The removal of the lamina (laminectomy) in that area has allowed the spinal cord more space and not be so badly compressed.

Let me know how your doctor visit goes today.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElaineD (08-08-2016)