View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Antonina,

Abscesses are the result of a long term infection. The antibiotic may temporarily subside your symptoms but it will not cure the abscess. The abscess is the result of the infection spreading beyond the tooth and into the jaw bone. Pressing on the gum released the fistula of pus that had formed. The fistula will fill up again. The only way to attempt to cure the infection is to remove the tooth.

Based on your description, it sounds like your teeth are in guarded condition and we already know the old bridge has out lived it's functionality. That being the case, it is inevitable that your teeth will need to be extracted and you will be fitted for a full denture most likely sooner than later. So you have to decide if you want to spend the time and money on temporary patch ups and a partial denture ... or remove the teeth and do the full denture.

It is not an easy decision and of course you need to feel ready and comfortable with whatever you decide to do.

I wish you the best ... we're here if you have other questions.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonina View Post
hi bryanna,

i went to my gen. dentist this morning. he xrayed the tooth & found the source of the pain...it has the beginning of an abcess & when he pressed the gum just above it, it killed! i have started taking amoxicillin & will stay on it until the infection abates.

he said i could go a couple of ways: extract the remaining teeth, leaving me no upper teeth at al, then creating a denture & voila!

second option is to extract the 2 central incisors and replace them along with the missing right quadrant with a "partial" but keeping the failing remainder left side bridge but he cannot predict if the bridge will last or just keep failing.

so the dilemma involves choosing one of these two scenarios. a third possibility is to get implants and use them to anchor fake teeth. to my mind this will be very costly and much more time consuming than a denture or a partial.

thanks again for your in depth analysis and sharing your expertise with me.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
antonina (08-09-2016)