Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Oh, they are lovely.

Thanks for posting their portraits.

We have had many black cats, and have noticed that they have unique personalities. All of ours have tended to be timid. But also they tend to be very sensitive and intelligent.

Torties have a reputation for being eccentric in some ways.

Our most recent cat, Maya was a feral and never lived in a house. She lived in our friend's rescue in a large cage for about a month. So when we got her on vacation, she hid for about a week. We enticed her out bit by bit with food tidbit treats ( chicken, bacon, salmon) and toys. She eventually came out and decided to join us... Here is a photo of her accepting the sofa...which she discovered no one used that part, so it became hers. We had just succeeded in taming Maya, when we left for home (an all day car trip). she started hiding again, so it was another week of "where's Maya?"

We also kept the new kitten in the kitchen with a small litter box. As soon as I saw them use it regularly, I let them out.
I did keep them out of the basement and attic until they became adults. One never knows what kind of "trouble" they can get into being so small!

As far a naming goes, we usually go a week or so until the kitten sort of names itself with some behavior. Maya was our only exception...I had that name picked out in advance.

I try to have each name slightly different so they can tell who is being called etc. A name ending in the eeezy sound and one that ends with an "a" sound or something else.

When we had 3 their names were Sheba, Tippy, Oreo.
I don't think this is a big issue since Maya always comes when we call Weezie.
LOL

Little baby Maya just LOVED the little bits of real human food we offered her...she had never had before. She is a shrimp girl now like our late Sheba was. Those early hiding days I think ended because of the once a day small treat we offered her.
Attached Thumbnails
New kittens-maya-2012-vacation-016-jpg  

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (08-11-2016), firewolf3251 (11-25-2016), Kitty (08-09-2016), kiwi33 (08-09-2016), Lara (10-06-2016), Littlepaw (08-10-2016)