View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 11:03 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingRollerCoaster View Post
Hains - thank you, that is great information. I'm glad you have found things that help you! Just one more question - is cold laser the same thing as LLLT? I see a lot of PTs and Chiros that say they do cold laser but it doesn't necessarily say "LLLT".
Yes, Cold Laser and LLLT are interchangeable terms.

My research differs slightly from Mark's (below). You need to focus on 2 variables: Wavelength and Power. I mentioned 660nm, 810nm, and 908nm as the specific wavelengths confirmed as therapeutic in the scientific literature. Power output is what controls the depth of penetration into the body. The scientific literature suggests that LED lights are effective but do not penetrate as deep as lasers. Therefore, lasers are more effective for large muscles, hard tissue and brain injuries. An LED will never penetrate the skull, but a laser with a high, but safe, power output (eg. 75-100mW) has a chance.

In your research you will come across varying units. Wavelengths, an expression of light, are usually measured in nanometers (nm), different wavelengths have different effects on the body. mTBI and whiplash treatment research suggest 660nm, 810nm, and 908nm. Power, the electrical output of the device projecting the wavelength, is measured in Watts (W) or milliWatts (mW). Power density (mW/cm2) is the power output per area (cm2; metric measurement), which is the coverage on your body. Energy, measured in Joules (J), is Power(w)*Time(s). Energy density (a.k.a dosage), is measured as (J/cm2). Some people will debate the appropriateness of the energy density measurement, just ignore the conversation as it will not help with your recovery. Rather, the unit you select should come with some kind of treatment protocol. Stick with that as it was approved by the manufacturer.

Also note that exceeding the recommended treatment times will cause overheating of the area and will result in inflammation, negating any therapeutic effects. I made this mistake early on. Please learn from my mistakes.

I actively use the following protocols, and am finding them to be effective. They may not be the best, but with my resources I have refined my treatment to this:

Brain Stem via back of the skull, through the cerebellum: 908nm, 60 seconds, 75mW, 1.13mW/cm2.

Neck (hard tissue): 908nm, 180 seconds, 60mW, 2.7mW/cm2.

Neck & Upper back (soft tissue): 908nm, 180 seconds, 50mW, 2.25mW/cm2.
Hains is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote