View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I totally disagree based on the NCBI.NLM.NIH website and basic physics. Power output relates to the amount of area that can be treated. There is a limit to the power per area (milliWatts/square centimeter) that can be safely tolerated. This varies by the wavelength. Think sunburn. The power per area is limited to 10 to 20 times the power of noontime sun, depending on the wavelength.

Wavelength relates to depth of penetration. Light wavelength is well known as related to penetration of an object. Long wavelength infrared light will pass through glass but short wavelength ultraviolet light will not. Again, think sunburn. UVA/UVB sunblock prevents short wavelength light from penetrating the skin and causing damage. It does not stop long wavelength so you still feel the warmth from the sun.

PubMed Central, Figure 2: Semin Cutan Med Surg. 213 Mar; 32(1): 41–52.

The primary difference between a Laser Diode and LEDs is the focus of the energy. Lasers transmit the light in a narrow beam. Some LD systems use multiple beams to cover a larger area. Lasers were originally developed for therapeutic uses because they were the only way the wavelength could be controlled

LEDs transmit the light in a wider spray.

The laser system manufacturers have been trying to distort the facts to maintain sales as LED systems have become available at affordable purchase for home prices. But, the research shows LED's to be just as effective. Laser systems have higher power outputs that require more technical understanding of the therapy protocols so as to not cause harm. This higher power means a treatment can be shorter. Home LED systems require more time.

But, only the therapist benefits from the time savings as the therapist can treat more patients during each day. The patient has to drive to the appointment, wait, get treated, settle the bill and drive home and schedule these treatments around a daily schedule of life.

So, for me, a home LED system was the choice. Unfortunately, my shoulders have had chronic inflammation problems for 40 years and stimulating healing causes an increase in blood flow increasing already bad inflammation. As my surgeon said, I have angry shoulders but he can't see what is causing them to be so angry.

I have not tried my system on my upper neck but based on recent neck struggles, I am considering it.

Here is an interesting study about NIR penetration.
Near-IR light penetrates skull to aid traumatic brain injury - Laser Focus World

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 08-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote