Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Kay,

Regarding the mistake:
I talked to the woman yesterday and got some advice that might work.
The main thing really is that she sees me as doing good work and likes me --
so that is good. If the mistake-thing becomes a huge mess, she will back me up
and people like her.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Regarding disclosing:

I have disclosed multiple sleep disorders. The FMLA documents that the PCP recently
did for me (which I lost and hope are around the house somewhere) say that I
cannot be there early mornings and that I do best with late morning/afternoon/night.

THere is a chance that somewhere in the old HR files is an old FMLA document that my PCP wrote "bioplar" because she was filling out the form quickly.
She wrote it without paying attention.
And I assume that HR was leaky (the idiots gossiped) so for all I know,
everyone at school knows I am "bipolar."
Still, I pretend that I am managing as long as I do not have to be there at 7:00 /8:00/9:00 a.m.
EVERYONE at work knows that I can get
agitated/jumpy/spout off/get loud ---- I am doing better at "covering" for that.
"Covering" takes a huge amount of effort.

M

I'm glad that you got some advice that may work out well for you, and it seems like you may have a powerful ally now as well

Disclosing your sleep disorders falls into my "exemptions" category… Only disclose medical/mental health information if you are asking for a specific accommodation, there is a crisis, or there is a chance a medical emergency may happen in the workplace (like in the case of a seizure disorders).

I'm glad that the ADA is working for you. Your sleep disorders definitely qualify and you are asking for reasonable accommodations.

I disclosed my MS diagnosis before I was "showing" once, and was badly burned. Long story short: I was forced out of my job at the VA. They're very corrupt. I'd rather not field any questions about the subject.

Sometimes we think that our bipolar diagnosis may be obvious to others, but it isn't always the case. In general people really aren't that educated about it, and usually just chalk things up to personality traits.

I'm glad having the bipolar diagnosis floating around somewhere deep down in HR hasn't caused you any problems. I hate the gossip. When I disclosed my MS dx, my supervisor told everyone on 1st and 2nd shifts (I worked 3rd shift). I had thought that information was supposed to be confidential.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-14-2016), Dmom3005 (08-13-2016), ger715 (08-13-2016), Mari (08-13-2016)