Thread: DRG Stimulation
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPSbe View Post
I'm so sorry about your dog, catra121! I know what it's like to lose a pet. Hang in there!

Is this like a regular neurostimulator? It is, isn't it?

I would be hesitant, but that's me... In this country it's only given if medication is insufficient relief and if that's all been tried and tested out *fully*. They always go the medication route before doing something as invasive as this. I've never heard of them implanting two, either. That's crazy talk IMMHO. My God, and if it's not a rechargeable one, the batteries need replacing in x-amount of years (which means surgery *again*). So it's not as "easy" as some docs make it out to be.
This treatment is very similar to traditional SCS but there are differences and the DRG treatment is specifically used to treat CRPS. Here's what I read on the Ainsworth Institute site that explains the difference in the unit:

The idea of DRG stimulation is nearly identical to traditional Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS), with one very important difference – rather than placing the leads in a general region of the spinal cord, DRG stimulation targets the specific regions of the cord that are transmitting the pain and shuts down those painful signals directly by placing the leads DIRECTLY OVER THE DRG’s. The FDA clinical trial (ACCURATE Study) showed that electrically stimulating the ganglion offers patients better and more targeted pain relief from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).

It is pretty new...so 4 years is about as far as the research can go back for people with this unit. However...among CRPS patients the results seem VERY encouraging and much better than with SCS.

After thinking about it this weekend I have decided that I definitely want to move forward with this treatment. I just know that I cannot continue the way that I am. I have a 21 month old daughter to take care of and I think about what a difference it can make in my life and in hers. Even if the thing only works for 5 years...that would be 5 really good years while my daughter is young. The SCS had too many risks and bad results for CRPS patients...but this DRG treatment really is a huge step forward for CRPS treatment and the risks are more in my comfort zone. There are still risks...still negatives...but I'm willing to take them for the chance at getting better.

Now...it's a waiting game. I haven't heard from work comp yet on if I can get the bloodwork done and see a neurologist for the small fiber neuropathy. I think that will be the next step before I hear anything about the DRG treatment. But I at least feel like a bit of weight is lifted off my shoulders having made my decision and knowing that there is some hope that I will be able to function again like a normal human being.

And...for those interested...my dog passed away Friday morning before I took her to the vet. I was up with her all night and she passed away peacefully with me beside her. It was hard and I'm still grieving and crying constantly...but I am grateful that she went that way instead of at the vet.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-23-2016), Littlepaw (08-15-2016), RSD ME (08-15-2016), visioniosiv (08-15-2016)