View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Just an update: I had my appointment with my neuro, and he prescribed Lyrica. When I told him I was worried that the pain might suddenly come on and that I'd prefer to have something just in case, he said sure and that he could prescribe Gabapentin or Lyrica, and just ended up prescribing the latter. I didn't make much of it, since he said they're from the same family and I am very much hoping I don't have to take it. It's just insurance. And I will try marijuana and Tens before anything like Lyrica, which will likely turn my brain to mush from what I've heard. I work with my brain so I'm not sure I could ever take it. But if the pain comes on, perhaps that's not an option.
David - Just a note on the Lyrica - sounds like you are hoping to take it like you would advil for a headache (relief from a single dose). I want to make sure you are aware that this is not how Lyrica works (from personal experience and conversations with my neuro). Lyrica can actually take 6-8 weeks to work fully within the body. For me when I first started taking it the effectiveness seemed to fluctuate and my doctor told me that yes that can happen. I have been on it for 6+ months now and the fluctuations are fewer and farther in between. It might work on first dose but there is a good chance your body will need to adjust for it to work fully. Also as far as side effects - day 1 and 2 of Lyrica I was pretty spacey and out of it but that definitely subsided. I still struggle with occasional bouts of sleepiness/brain fog feeling but not always and I am working with my doc to see what we can do about that (dose adjustment perhaps). Hope this helps - good luck to you!
boiler1993 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote