View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 06:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
The results of a number of clinical trials suggest that autologous stem cell transplants are a promising approach for treatment of MS. My understanding is that this is still at the experimental stage. See Stem Cells in MS : National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Personally I would need to know a lot more about the Russian entity (How long have they been operating?, Have any results been published in the peer-reviewed medical literature?, etc) before deciding whether or not to spend £20K.

Thanks Kiwi! Thanks David! Excellent links. I agree totally Kiwi. I wouldn't even try to raise the money for that at this stage without knowing the full facts / evidence / validity. I do believe from all I've read that there is some possible hope in this. But, I always feel suspicious when huge sums of money are involved and it's somewhere like Russia. No criticism of Russia but I question why the U K or U S.A aren't offering out this same procedure now if the results are so spectacular.
The clinical trials are hopeful and I see that is happening here- sadly, this is so often such a long drawn out process. I understand safety is the real concern. I'm pleased that clinical trials are happening in research establishments and not necessarily big pharma led. This is not a winner for them I'd imagine

Having read as much as I can on the topic, I don't yet understand specifically why M.S is being hailed as the key disease to benefit from this. Autoimmune disease is autoimmune disease whichever way you are affected. So this is supposed to manage the errant immune system - so why wouldn't it apply to all autoimmune disease.

I read through pages of the Facebook link you posted David. I saw that lady on tv once. I don't know why, but I feel suspicious of the circumstances surrounding some of these people who have achieved remission on there as a result of this. I may be being too negative and critical. I'm no way underestimating M.S as I know it is very scary but I believe some of the effects of peripheral nerve diseases are on a par with some of the horrors of M.S. There is however so much attention, publicity, fundraising and almost a sense of positive support for that condition. Having some obscure, terrifying, agonising condition that isn't quite known yet certainly does not illicit the same support or understanding I feel. Knowing exactly what you have, what it's called, why you have it, is so important. But it isn't easy at all with so many of our bizarre conditions.
Thanks again both, really good reads as always!
JoannaP79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote