View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Dystonia is the involuntary muscle movements. Curled hand and foot, for years people always commented "it looks painful to write" It was, and still is. I hated writing checks out in the store, so glad to see ATM machines. I have never heard of Dystonia until I was seen for Parkinson's.

I had foot surgery to straighten my toes out. It was before a PD Dx, so not a clue what Dystonia was. I'd wear out shoes by walking on the outside back edge of my feet. Heel totally gone in that area, rest of the shoe was fine. Knee and back issues.

Foot surgery also corrected bunions, resection bones, tendon attachment, and inserted rods. It did allow me to use "three points" (big toe, little toe, heel on on the floor). So in that respect it helped, but in hindsight botox would have been much easier recovery rather than staying off my feet for six weeks.

Surgery was done a week apart. Left then right foot. Doc wanted me to be able to get up and around, hence off set. I asked why not wait three months, and his comment was I'd never come back for the other foot.

While it was a pain to have surgery done, and be off my feet for a few months, to me it was worth it. I don't wear out my heels anymore!

I suspect my feet where so curled after years of being pulled into claws that just botox would not have worked, but I'd still recommend trying botox first to get an idea how you are doing. Botox is only good for three months, or so, not a permanent solution and I seem to remember there is a long term use concern with botox. Something to discuss with your doctor.

Life's irony is my Dystonia responded to Sinemet. So when "on" I'm good. I'm looking forward to DBS as placement is to help both Parkinson's and Dystonia.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (08-15-2016)