View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I wonder.... How many concussions have you suffered during your years playing hockey ? Some may have been hard body checks, maybe some falls, or maybe some helmet to helmet checks.

Any other sports in your history ?

Prior concussions could have set you up for the difficult time you are having from just a roller coaster ride.

Anxiety is likely the biggest issue that slows recovery. Many struggle until they get anxiety under control. PCS makes anxiety much more prominent. Minor anxiety prior to a concussion can become a major problem after a concussion.
I've only been playing hockey for about three years now. I took up hockey during a tough time in my life emotionally to set new goals and get the endorphins flowing.

My concussion history:
The only time I can remember anything close to a concussion was in January. I took a fall on the ice after skating through a rut on the ice. I did not hit my head. But a few minutes later I started getting a Migraine on the ice. (started losing my vision etc) Got another migraine later that day. Was sensitive to light for a few days but everything went back to normal within a week. Not sure if that was a concussion or just a migraine because I do get migraines every few months for years now. There have been a couple of other times I've skated into other players etc. But nothing left any sort of lasting effect.

Would anything like that have caused more during the roller coaster?

I played basketball up untill college.

RE: Anxiety
Ok so I haven't really had anxiety problems per say. But I'm definitely an over thinker. And I don't really do too well with personal problems. It's a cause for stress for me.

How do I get my stress/anxiety under control during PCS. Every time I get a setback, I get stressed and down. I have an appointment with a therapist later today. I usually go to her during tough times. Is therapy a good avenue during PCS?

And this is probably an impossible question to answer but how long will have to deal with PCS? I'm afraid the longer it goes, the more likelihood I'll be more stressed and depressed.
an_also is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote