View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 02:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Newby View Post
Hi,

I am looking for some advice or others experiences of scs and what I should expect or what is normal.

My potted history;

Started about 20 years ago with neck pain, MRI should the disc at c6-7 was bulging but not bad enough to do anything about. They also found a dehydrated disc in my lower back. Years of neck pain followed and when bad I would not be able to move my head properly so it put pressure on my back and I had lower back pain.

About 10 years ago my neck was really bad and was struggling with pain etc. I then got a frozen shoulder on my left side which is where the pain was. That did not respond to steroid injections so had to have it decompressed.

A couple of years later the pain continued and I ended up with chronic pins and needles 24x7 on both arms but mainly the left. Again my neck was playing up. This time they did conductivity tests and told me both ulna nerves were compressed and I needed a ulna nerve transposition in my left side first as this was worse. This I think was the first time crps started and was not a compressed ulna nerve. Had the op and no better. The crps got worse, red, swelling, burning pain at shoulder, elbow and fingers both little and ring fingers. Tried nerve blocks, infusions, various tablets and eventually ended up on lyrical 800-900mg per day. This lasted for two years but the side effects were bad and it came to a head when I forgot the tablets when away from home and after 24 hours started withdrawal. So planned to come off tablets, little support from my doctor, he said half them over 2 weeks and at the end of the third stop them. Did this and ended up suicidal (now my doctor says that they don't prescribe them anymore). Got over that but the crps came back worse. Tried to tough it out but neck pain and crps to bad. The consultant then says the MRI is showing the bulge at the back of the neck but it is the channel where the nerves pass that is restricted to less then half the size of all other joints. So he suggested replacing the disc. Well that went well for 8 weeks then out of nowhere the pain returned and I thought I would be paralysed. New MRI shows the replacement joint had failed in the back corner and was pushing down on the nerves. He said he has never had one fail but it needed taking out and fusing. Fusion done and neck pain eventually gone!

The crps was still there and as bad as ever. So I had scs precision spectra with 16 pads on my left and 8 on right. 5 different programs 3 I can feel and 2 can't (whisper and burst). After a week it felt very good but over time as I am more mobile I noticed the pain coming back. The redness, swelling and pain at shoulder, elbow and fingers is back as soon as I walk or use my arm. Also if I switch it off then the pain returns in minutes. I also get no relief from the whisper and burst programs. It seems if I can't feel it then it gives no relief.

I'm due to see the consultant in September but I am unsure of what I should be expecting. I think I have had crps for around 8 years and I am seriously feed up with it. I am not fit to work and only pain free when sat down doing nothing.

Any thoughts on what I should be doing or expect from the scs?

Paul.
Frozen shoulder is basically the one and the same as CRPS. Some doctors do not agree on this general issue, others do.

A neurostimulator is no cure for the signs & symptoms of CRPS, it can only generally help with the pain. So you need treatment.

What does your doctor say of all this?
- chondromalacia patellae both knees
- RSD both legs (late diagnosis, almost 3 years into RSD) & spread to arms/hands as of 2008
CRPSbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote