View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Angels,

The implant is removed, the jaw bone and sinus are surgically debrided of all visible infection, necrotic tissue and bone. This surgery NEEDS to be very thorough and meticulously done. It cannot be done quick or carelessly. Sometimes there will be an opening into the sinus which may or may not be able to be repaired during this surgery. That may require a different surgery. It all depends on how extensive the infection is and how thorough the surgeon is able to perform the surgery. Bone grafting is not usually put in at this surgery as there could still be microscopic areas of infection which would hopefully be taken care of with the antibiotics. The antibiotics need to be specific for the type of bacteria that is causing the infection. A clean specimen of the bacteria should be taken at the time of this surgery and sent to a pathologist for culturing to determine the proper antibiotic. This is a CRUCIAL step and should be done.

This bone infection is long standing... it began as far back at the root canal therapy. It may not have shown on the CT scan as definitive infection or the angle of the scan was off... there are a number of reasons why it was not picked up. It could also be that is was visible but misdiagnosed as graft material.

The second oral surgeon is a better option to see for the removal of this implant ..... not the original surgeon. Please, think twice before letting the original surgeon do any further treatment.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels31 View Post
Hi Bryanna,
I have a couple of questions. What do they put in when they take the implant out? Do they put another bone graft? Nothing? Also, how come my bone infection didn't show on a CT scan? The second oral surgeon I went to is highly respected and also an MD. You would think he would have seen it? The first oral surgeon has not returned my call. I know you are right about the ego and greed. You have been right about this whole thing all along.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote