View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Yes, I recall you saying you've used it in the past for that reason. We spoke about it before too in the context of SIBO and natural remedies. It seems to work well for you?

It would be for SIBO in my case too, and I've done plenty of research on it, and of course I'm aware that all meds have other ingredients, but I'm still not too keen on taking ones that are harmful to my body when I take such effort to avoid anything harmful. So I was asking if any stand out as particularly harmful to anyone. For example, titanium dioxide is in plenty of meds and supplements, but is very problematic and I avoid it at all costs. That's all.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can get it covered, precisely for the reason you note. But in Canada, a 14 day course of 3xdaily is $420, whereas it's much more in the US I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
I have taken Rifaximin many times. I occasionally get a condition called SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) which is a result of my gastroparesis. The antibiotic works only in the GI track, and very little enters the blood stream. It is also used for travelers diarrhea, IBS (with chronic diarrhea), and hepatic encephalopathy.

It is a very expensive antibiotic and often insurance won't pay for it...unless the doctor well documents certain conditions.

All medications (as far as I know) have 'other ingredients', so I'm not sure what your question is. Why are you being prescribed it?
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote