View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 04:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca71 View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about specialized PT. Which is clearly hard to come by. So if that movement is bad, then you wouldn't be doing it, you would be doing JUST less than that. But also, what I'm doing is working a lot on the desensitization which is pretty huge. Its going to be a very long slow process. So whatever I'm touching with my foot I only touch for say ten seconds at a time, and only after first experiencing it with my left (unaffected) foot first so that my brain knows it is "safe" etc.
Its a pretty careful process.

I've read about neurontin/gabapentin being abused and I honestly don't see how/why. I certainly don't get any "high" from it.

There are other meds. There are some antidepressants that also work on nerve pains. There is methadone, which is helping me. It is an opioid but it works on the nmda receptors so it is more effective than the other ones.

And there's things like the Ketamine infusions, which others here do and can talk more to than I can.
I don't think that that is what's meant by "abuse". In the US it has undergone a whole controversy because it was the new "aspirine", as it was being prescribed so much, so often. So that's what they mean by it.

It is a very safe, very effective medication for nerve pain, IMMHO. And so high trees catch a lot of wind... That's how it usually goes!

It's only being refunded in my country for the last 5+ years or so. Lyrica got on the market here first and was even refunded before Neurontin was (but it didn't take that long). Before that I had to pay full price for the medication (€40+ euro a box and that lasted me 10 days, so you can imagine). Now I have to pay under €4 a box, so *big* improvement.

I've been very good with Neurontin. It works wonders on the nerve pain (the ICYness OMG). The remainder of the pain is dealt with with pain patches as I'm on the second largest dose of Neurontin. The doctor didn't want me on the highest dose, so that I still would have some leeway should things ever get even worse than they are.
- chondromalacia patellae both knees
- RSD both legs (late diagnosis, almost 3 years into RSD) & spread to arms/hands as of 2008
CRPSbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote