View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 02:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Heart

Becca,

I am so sorry to hear this. Whatever is happening getting your shoulder calmed down (while still using it) is important. Some doctors, mine included, will prescribe a short course of oral steroids to keep the system from going into overdrive. This is a good time to schedule a follow up and see if they have any tricks up their sleeve. You are at Stanford pain right?

Using crutches is a huge strain on the arms and shoulders as you know. Since you are bearing some weight might it possible to switch to a walker? Or to go to one crutch which would be used on your stronger side? Offloading and reducing strain may help.

I agree movement is good, just please be careful. Exercises that raise weight overhead cause strain in healthy shoulders. Maybe your PT can recommend some good, safe starter exercises to keep range of motion without flaring or risking injury. If you aren't getting in a pool, now could be a good time to start. If regular freestyle is uncomfortable you can get a buoyancy belt and gently swish around, thereby getting exercise and therapy for circulation and swelling at the same time.

I am sending healing vibes and hope you improve soon,

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (08-19-2016), birchlake (08-21-2016), ger715 (08-19-2016), RSD ME (08-24-2016), visioniosiv (08-22-2016), wonderwoman (08-20-2016)