View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Worsening symptoms

I am double seronegative, diagnosed in 2013. I had been stable on Cellcept and Mestinon for 2 years. I was on an Alaska cruise in May of this year and was exposed to highly toxic marine paint. I had respiratory issues and extreme muscle weakness. I avoided intubation but was nearly airlifted off the ship. I had to use a wheelchair for the last 5 days of the cruise.

After that I continued to be weaker than before the cruise and started having other strange things pop up.
I have had 2 instances of unexplained angioedema(swelling) of my eyes, face and mouth. Also bouts of tachycardia lasting a few minutes to 3 hours.

I was recently hospitalized for the tachycardia and admitted to ICU for observation due to very poor pulmonary function tests in the ER. I was also having difficulty swallowing and a video flouroscopy showed slow epiglotis movement and pooling of food in my pharynx. I am now on metatoporol to control the tachycardia and have a referral to an allergist. Several doctors have suggested a thymectomy after a new study came out showing improvement in non-thymoma MG patients. The electrophysiology cardiologist thinks it may also fix the heart electrical issues. I am still trying to work it all out with my many doctors.

This change in my health has happened so fast, I don't know what to think. The metoprolol makes me weaker and I am now choking on my saliva at night.
Has anyone else had a major worsening of symptoms after a chemical exposure?
sandy56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote