View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Short term disability, seeking opinions

Dear all

My work offers me the option to take short-term disability (while being paid 90% of my salary), for up to a year and perhaps even more, conditional on doctor letters. And that is not clear yet that my doctors will oblige. But assuming they do.

I have been dealing with PCS for 2 years now. At some point I got much better, but I keep getting setbacks especially recently. I have been off work for 4 weeks already. I discovered a big problem was vision and need vision therapy. The longer I stay in front of PC the worst my symptoms get. These days I can't do more than 1 hr. Since I have dizziness issues I also need vestibular rehabilitation badly.

I currently can't work, so clearly I am not going. But my question is whether it is a good idea not to go back as soon as I feel better but rather take a short-term disability so I can focus on therapy and relaxation for few months rather than straining my eyes at work?. Only returning when I feel much better and that I can consistently work.

If I take disability I will:

- do both therapies consistently (both therapies lead to setbacks, and do not seem to be very compatible with my work week)
- Take meditation classes and take up yoga
- Go to the Gym
- Re-insert myself into social life and going back to doing music bit by bit (something that I stopped since it triggers setbacks and hence had to stop in order to go to work)...

The main disadvantage from my perspective for taking a long leave is the promotion ladder. But I thought I ll ask in case you folks think there are other risks of taking time off, and whether on balance you think I should stay/leave.

Many thanks
bachissimo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote