View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Is this correct?

I'm not sure that I understand the dosages for humans. I'll be grateful for your views.

Lemon et al. state [1]:

"Dosages for the mice were formulated based on amounts commonly prescribed to humans. Values were adjusted for the smaller body size of the mice, then, dosages were increased by a factor of 10 based on the higher gram-specific metabolic rate (and consequently faster utilization and turnover) of mice compared to humans ... . The supplement was prepared fresh daily in liquid form, soaked onto a small piece of bagel, and allowed to dry (dry weight of supplement = 140.3 mg per mouse based on a 35 g mouse)."

For a 35g mouse the dry weight of the supplement was 140.3mg. Thus, the total dose is about 1/250 of body weight per day, which seems very high. They do state that they've used a factor of 10, over and above weight, as a conversion formula for mice, but that leaves the human dose as 1/2500 of body weight per day, which still seems high.

Looking at it another way, given that a typical weight for a mouse is 35g and for a human it is 70kg, the weight of a human is 2000 times that of a mouse and taking into account the species factor of 10, to get human dosages we need to multiply the Table 1 values by 200. For instance, vitamin C is shown for a mouse as 3.6mg/day, which scales to a value of 720mg/day for a human, which seems reasonable. (The NHS advice is "Taking less than 1,000mg of vitamin C supplements is unlikely to cause any harm" [2]. I presume that they mean per day.)

References:

[1] "A Complex Dietary Supplement Extends Longevity of Mice"
Jennifer A. Lemon, Douglas R. Boreham and C. David Rollo"
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci (2005) 60 (3): 275-279.
A Complex Dietary Supplement Extends Longevity of Mice

[2] Vitamins and minerals - Vitamin C - NHS Choices

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bergamotte (08-24-2016)