View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Biobased

I appreciate your enthusiasm for LDN - I wasn't criticizing the LDN sites for being positive but wanted to indicate that there is the possibility of side effects - some being severe - the discussion of which is not given sufficient weight on many of the sites promoting LDN. I had to do the alternative search "LDN doesn't work" before I found information to help another member of this site understand why her trial of LDN was causing an extremely painful reaction. (it wasn't candida)

I'm currently into week 12 of trialing LDN - (for assistance with pain relief from osteoarthritis). I'm unable to take regular pain relievers due to either allergy or interaction with medications I take for my primary condition - a potentially fatal auto-immune disease. Hence the reason it was essential that I obtain as much information as possible about likely interactions before starting. Unfortunately academically researched information for LDN is limited - there's none at all for using it with my auto-immune condition . . . so I'm being my own guinea-pig (with approval & monitoring from my doctors). I haven't posted about my experiences with LDN because as yet I don't have conclusive results (but it hasn't been all smooth sailing), and also because my situation and combination of conditions is uncommon I don't want to prejudice other people considering LDN.

Thanks for the link you provided on the genetic basis for Naltrexone not always working - it's not one I'd previously come across in my extensive search for information prior to starting LDN. Unfortunately I don't have access to such genetic testing in my country. Also do you know if the genetic influence would affect the efficacy of Naltrexone at low dose in the same manner to the full dose Naltrexone used in the study? My understanding is that naltrexone works in more than one way: as a nonselective opiod receptor antagonist (for opiod treatment) but it also works as an antagonist on non-opiod receptors (as an anti-inflammatory & analgesic ie: LDN). Is it possible the genetic influence may be limited to only one of the pathophysiological mechanisms? (Apologies for getting technical - still trying to get my head around some of this so I can explain to friends and family why I'm taking an expensive unapproved medication)

I'd also appreciate it if you could direct me to the sites that detail where people with auto-immune disease are being healed (rather than just having their symptoms controlled). Although I suspect LDN won't heal my auto-immune condition (I think of it as another management tool), I have other friends who may benefit from this information.

Yours remaining cautiously optimistic on LDN - bluesfan

Last edited by bluesfan; 08-23-2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: correction
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (08-23-2016), indigo (09-01-2016), Littlepaw (08-24-2016), RSD ME (06-10-2017)