View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Exclamation Quick note . . . :

Original claim of 16 month improvement in average survival increased to 19.7 months and then 20.9 months, has reached 22 months (apparently reported yesterday) and I expect further improvement will develop as patients reach the operating room closer and closer to the temporally optimal 'window' for pacer implant. Since 'average' in ALS is almost always significantly higher than median, most patients will experience weaker than average benefit but substantial plurality ought to exceed same and the average, in my opinion, will likely continue to increase. It remains too early to tell how typical patients will benefit and some might not have, however, the Bulbarian's table shows at least six month improvement may be possible for most patients. Patients suffering fast regression or whose onset is near the lower motor neurons of the pulmonary system may not benefit much from the treatment. I will elaborate on this issue in future posts. The course of regression remains so difficult to predict most continue to maintain such is impossible to do.
MuonOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote