View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Mild TBI, new daddy, 3 questions !

Hello everyone,
I'm 41 yo and a proud new dad of a 1-month old boy.
3 weeks prior to his birth, I fell off my bicycle and despite wearing a helmet, I sustained a mild TBI (LOC, amnesia, scan clear).
Note this not my first TBI, I sustained a few over the last 15 years, and despite sometimes struggling for months of recovery after some of them, I "managed to manage" (work full time, exercise).
It's the first TBI where I had LOC and amnesia (although they are in terms of minutes).

I'm almost 3 months post-TBI as of now and still off work. I have the usual mild TBI symptoms (fatigue, headaches, some occasional dizziness, noise-sensitive, etc). I find I'm "ok" cognitively apart for the mental fatigue.
I have 3 questions about symptoms that bothers me a lot right now :

1) Poor tolerance on computer (although I'm ok with TV and I manage much better with my iPhone). When I say poor tolerance, I'd say after 10-15 min of simulated work (typing in Word, browsing professional website), I get increased headaches, with pressure in the head and behind the eyes, heavy head, ringing in the ears). If I take a break, the symptoms diminish without disappearing, so doing another 10-15 min of computer work and so on will eventually bothers me a lot and will incapacitate me for a while after, you know how it is. I see no improvement on this area which is frustrating especially that my job involves using a computer a lot. I'm wondering what it is with computer that makes it is so difficult at this point? Any reason I can manage much better typing a long text on my iPhone rather than on my computer ? Can it have to do with the size of the screen that makes it "too much / too big" to scan for the eyes and to manage for the brain ?

2) Motion sickness feeling when bicycling and swimming, even on a very slow pace. This may sound weird, especially since I don't have this feeling when driving my car. I'm ok if I exercise on my stationary bike on a mild/moderate pace (road bike with Tacx system), but if I only ride 30 sec outside, man do I get motion sickness. I do not have this feeling when I walk either. I eliminated the possibility of increased heart rate factor since I now walk and do stationary bike on a moderate pace. Anyone has a cue about what is going on ?

3) Finally, if anyone has a cool tip on how to manage when baby is crying vs noise-sensitiveness, any tip will be welcome, right now I'm using ear plugs when I feel my ears might explode or when the ringing just gets too loud Fatigue is definitely amplified by the duty of a newborn but that's just something I have to cope with for now.
One day at a time they say uh...?
Thanks for you time!
billzare is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote