View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 08:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default update

I hate to drag this thread back up. But I wanted to touch base in case anyone else has had similar issues.

I feel almost 100% certain that my issue is not MG related. I am almost certain I have silent reflux. This past summer was horrible to say the least. I was so stressed out over not being able to swallow correctly and having difficulty getting a deep breath that I had to just walk away from online forums. Unfortunately, my doctors weren't much help either. I honestly thought I was going to die and no one would know why. My weight got scary low and my blood pressure was 80/50 most days.

My mother in law came over one night and she suggested that I try Nexium for the chest pain. I tried it for 3 days before I noticed anything, but on day 3 I felt somewhat better. Then, I started looking up gerd on my own. I had a scope in June and it showed that my esophagus was fine. So, docs said no reflux. They were wrong. It got to where I couldn't speak without pain and tightening in my throat.

I researched and found that I have all symptoms of silent reflux: trouble swallowing, breathing, terrible sore throat, nighttime cough, etc. ENT said my larynx was red and irritated at his exam. Then, he said silent reflux is hard to treat and sent me on my way with no help, but directions to come back for follow up visit in 6 weeks.

None of my docs would acknowledge this. So, I found a treatment regimen online and began self treatment (2 nexiums/day, gaviscon every time I eat and pepcid at bedtime). I took the first deep breath I had had in 4 months about a week after all the meds.

Finally found a gastro who prescribed Protonix for the next 6 months. But I can tell he's not convinced I need it because I don't "look" like a reflux patient. I am taking it and doing better. Still not 100% but I can run at a slow pace for up to 4 miles now and get a deep breath just fine. I am not pain free, but I am much, much better. My energy is soooo much better than it was. Not even comparable.

Very frustrated at how long I have suffered. Not blaming my neuro, but I told him last Oct that I was having difficulty swallowing. His response: it's not a symptom of sfn (my current dx).

I still carry the mestinon in my purse for those days that I am lagging. But I am wary of taking it knowing that my issues probably all stem from silent reflux.
teachermom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote