Thread: My New Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

I saw my pdoc today…

I'm obviously very depressed, but the agitation and paranoia I'm experiencing are consistent with mania, so she thinks I'm having a mixed episode. Maybe it's a continuation of the last one I had… ? The only symptoms that improved after that med adjustment were related to my anxiety disorders, and it ended up leading to worsening depression.

She doesn't want to risk adding a SSRI, or another atypical antipsychotic at this point. I'm maxed out at 800mg of Seroquel now, and gabapentin is my second strongest mood stabilizer, but I'm on a low dose (400mg) and I only take it at night.

The plan is to increase the gabapentin to 900mg and spread it out over 3 doses since gabapentin doesn't work for long periods of time. The goal is to stabilize my mood, which will help with the paranoia. I see her the 12th. I will call her, and see her sooner if necessary.

Gabapentin has worked as a mood stabilizer for me in the past. It helped end an endless period of alternating mania and hypomania. I just don't know what to expect from this med in this situation…
Except sedation, at least initially, and Lord knows I'm sleeping enough as it is now. I'm not thrilled about that.

I guess I'll just give it a go though.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-29-2016), Mari (08-29-2016), mymorgy (08-29-2016)