View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
You are overmedicating on the antacid drugs. And they don't come without risk.

You will now be open for deficiencies of B12, D, albumin, calcium, and iron, to name a few.

Also, you will not have as much good bacteria in your body due to no stomach acid. If you are immunosuppressed, your infection risk goes up as well.

If you don't digest your food well enough, you can get dumping into the small intestines of undigested food, which can lead to reactive hypoglycemia.

This can all lead to a leaky gut, which can lead to allergies and even more AIs.

I'm a total downer today! But you need to be aware of what this self-medicating can do.

Did you know that Mestinon increases acetylcholine, which increases stomach acid? So maybe you aren't technically someone with primary reflux/esophageal issues, but someone with secondary ones due to Mestinon.

Some things to think about.

Annie
Trust me, I am extremely wary of taking antacids. Especially since I have sfn. I am taking b12, slow release magnesium, and calcium to try to offset the protonix. I am also hoping to slowly come off of the antacids. But I am quite sure I have/had silent reflux. To the point, I am trying to find a doc in my state who treats it. Not having much luck there.

Something was truly wrong during the summer months. It was awful. I burped nonstop. It was insane. On top of that, I would wake up during the night gasping for air. I was afraid to go to sleep because I was afraid I would stop breathing. The worse part was the terrible pain in my chest and the inability to get a good breath. It is all so much better now. If I can find a doc in Arkansas, I hope to get surgery and fix the problem so I can quit meds. But I am not having any luck.

Today, I have only had protonix. I haven't needed gaviscon or anything else. I am being extremely careful with what goes in my mouth. I drink only water and I eat low fat, low acid foods.

My neuro appointment is coming up in October. Looking forward to putting some fears to rest. But I still feel pretty certain this is reflux.
teachermom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote