View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Pam,
Not sure what you mean by control the controllable things in hernia management?

When I had my three (3);( one of which was an epigastric hernia) Ventral (abdominal) incisional hernias repaired this past November, it was done with mesh... (surgeon advised to help retain closure).

So a little over a couple of months later; I am now dealing with Diastasis Recti (separation of the abdominal muscle from navel; side to side and up to breastbone and down to pelvic area). I am in constant abdominal turmoil, discomfort and pain.

It is almost impossible not to do straining because of my opioid pain meds causing constipation for which I take three doses daily of Miralax to try to keep things a bit runny. Also, ventral hernia repairs are at risk for recurrence. When I told my surgeon, after the Diastasis Recti diagnosis, I was concerned about hernia recurrence; he said I have "a good reason to be concerned".

It appears the mesh, which was done at the time of the Ventral surgery, has not made any difference and possibly caused more problems. The mesh can disintegrate, infection, etc., etc.

I had read up about mesh prior to surgery. My surgeon felt using the mesh would give a better chance for closure than using sutures alone. That was also confirmed by many of the articles I read.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (09-02-2016), St George 2013 (09-03-2016)