View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I routinely suggest sleep and poor oxygenation as a risk.

The report is interesting. It is unfortunate that there is no control group or attempt to classify sleep prior to the trauma. Plus, there were no indications of CSA (Central Sleep Apnea) CSA can often make minor OSA into moderate to severe OSA. The anatomy of a TBI does not suggest a anatomical change that would create obstructions. Could it be that CSA is hidden in the diagnosis of OSA ?

btw, CSA is a condition where the breathing function in the brain stem malfunctions and does not tell the diaphragm to take a breath until oxygen levels are lower than they should be.

It would be worthwhile for these OSA diagnosed subjects to be examined for injuries to the nasal passages. I had nasal surgery last October for injuries likely suffered in 1965 when I had a severe face first concussion. It helped with my breathing and snoring but not my CSA.

Or, could there be a change in how the epiglottis (flap to the windpipe) functions after TBI ? That would cause a deep throat snore.

Somebody could have CSA and snore and be diagnosed as OSA.

I have CSA but my occasional snoring has no correlation to my CSA.

My father struggled with CSA for 40 years as it caused his brain to slowly deteriorate. Research shows that OSA and CSA cause brain atrophy. They also cause heart problems.

And, a night of CSA or OSA makes for a day of misery.

floridaman, Have you been fitted for a CPAP or BiPAP ? Is it helping ? When they work properly, they can be life changing.

For some, sleeping on an elevated mattress that lifts the head and shoulders is adequate. Many struggle with a CPAP. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure systems keep the airway open by forcing air in.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote