View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

ripply,

Did the dentist tell you that the bone had filled in or is that just your interpretation of the xray? The reason I ask is because it takes a few months to see the initial growth of new bone in a tooth socket and up to one full year before it fills in completely.

Mouth odor can occur ... from a sinus infection .... from food debris that is caught in the crevices of the tonsils or caught in the crevices of the tongue. It can also occur from a digestive disorder. Smoking also causes bad breath.

If you use mouthwash on a daily basis, that too can contribute to bad breath because the chemicals kill all of the bacteria in the mouth, both the good and the bad which unfavorably alter the chemistry and pH of the saliva.

Also, certain foods can contribute to bad breath.

So perhaps you could pay close attention to when you notice the odor and when you don't as that may give you a clue as to what is causing it.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripply View Post
I've been to see the oral surgeon again. He took x-Rays and spent ages looking around my mouth, gums and other teeth. He showed me the x-Ray and the bone has filled in where the tooth was extracted. He said it all looks great and that he can't detect any odour. But I'm sure there is!

He was honest and said he has no idea what the problem is. He insisted that he can't smell anything but suggested seeing my doctor about it as he can't find any dental reason. So, my GP has prescribed Amoxicillin (thinking it must be a sinus infection) and I've been taking them for a day now. I don't think they're going to help as I told them I have no sinus pain, but it's all the doctor will offer and I'm so desperate I'll try anything.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ripply (09-01-2016)