View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How do I reset my autonomic nervous system?

I think most of my symptoms are from an overactive sympathetic nervous system. My eye Dr. said I have a really good case of alpha omega eye, which is what led to my belief. Alpha omega eye is apparently a good sign of an overactive sympathetic nervous system. Plus, looking back, I've spent loads of time in a quiet dark room in the past, and I know the body adapts.

I've learned not to push through symptoms now too, which I have found very important. I realize that I sound like I habitually went in a dark quiet room, which I did and have, but only because I thought it was going to heal me. Only one period of time though did I over-rest and under-stimulate myself. That was after I completely crashed--migraines, burnout from school, inability to read--which was about 2.5 years ago, a month after my last injury. I had no other choice but to go in a dark quiet room. But I know the body adapts, and I've never been nearly as good as I was a few weeks after my last injury before I crashed. *Can that period of time where I over-rested and under-stimulated have made me hypersensitive to stimulus and I've never recovered?*

I've been doing syntonics (syntonic phototherapy) to treat the overactive sympathetic nervous system, and it's worked well in the past and is working very well again. I also am doing vision therapy with a NORA trained DR. and vision therapist. I eat very healthy now, I moderate stress and stimulus levels, take supplements, sleep well, have done loads of therapies, etc.

I feel like the final piece to getting me functional again is this overactive fight or flight response. I'm not a very anxious person, but I have light and sound sensitivity, filtering and overstimulation problems, reading problems, too much sleep problems, all of which are getting better.

*However, what else can a person do to heal up the brain's filters and reduce this overactive fight or flight response?*

I feel like things like meditating calm me down mentally, but physiologically they don't do a whole lot. I'm like a computer that overheats and I need time (usually 25-30 minutes of quiet non-stimulating room or walking) to cool down and return to baseline before I can go back to stimulating activities.

*Physiologically, does it take time for whatever chemicals secreted during the stress response to clear?* I certainly realize healthy, non-brain injured people need breaks as well.
JBuckl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote